Each Meetup is catered towards the subject and some may have fun activities involved.
If you have a request for a specific meetup, please email email@example.com with the topic idea, and preferred day/time.
Meetups are led and coordinated by our guests. SME will facilitate adding the meetup to our schedules and meetups signups form.
Each Drop Off Exchange includes the subject items (i.e. Ornaments, keyfobs, etc) to be dropped off at the Exchange Drop Off Box near the check-in desk before noon on Saturday of a Sew Magical Expo. Then return to the same place before the closing event and raffle on Sunday between 3:00pm-4:00pm. You will receive back the subject that someone else has made. The quantities listed are the minimum required to participate. If you bring more (make sure ornaments are in sets of 5) you will get back the number that you brought.
Polls for what exchanges and meetups our guests may want to participate in are posted in the Sew Magical Expo Facebook group.
All In-Person Exchanges are "Dirty Santa" style.
Let's talk RULES!
1) Make your item according to the exchange parameters and include any gifts indicated.
2) Now wrap it. Please find a unique, crafty way to wrap your bag. You could use a gift bag with a crafty theme, or wrap the exchange in a yard of fabric. You get the idea.
3) Bring your creation to the exchange at the appropriate time!
What's going to happen when you get there.
1) You will place your exchange creation on a table and take a number. Don't lose your number because you need it to know when it's your turn to choose.
2) We will place all the numbers in a hat and draw out a number. The person holding that number gets to come up and pick a wrapped exchange. Then, they have to unwrap the exchange and show everyone what they got. That person gets to keep the wrapping, but they may or may not get to keep the bag. I'll explain as we go along.
3) The second number is drawn from the bag. That person can either choose from the table and follow the example of the first person, or they can choose to "steal" the item from the person. (See where the "Dirty Santa" part comes in?) If this second person chooses from the table, they will open their exchange, keep the wrappings and sit down to see if they actually get to keep what they chose.
4) We continue drawing numbers and folks keep choosing from the table or "Stealing" from someone else. But, when a item is in the hands of a third person it is "dead" and that person gets to keep it, it can't be "stolen" from them. No matter if someone "steals" a item from you, you still get to keep the wrappings. That's why the wrappings matter, it's another gift!
5) If a item is "stolen” from you, then you get to go back to the table and choose another, or "steal" from someone else. You may not "Steal" from the person who just stole from you.
6) We continue like this through much merriment until all the numbers have been chosen and everyone has wrappings, as well as the item. Then, in a twisted ending, the person who's number was called first gets to "steal" from anyone, whether that exchange was "dead" or not. It really pays to be drawn first !Please note: If we have a large turn out, we reserve the right to place time limits on choosing, or the right to split the group into more manageable groups so that we can get this done during the one hour time slot and not be late for our next classes.
Any questions? Feel free to ask!
Photo & Videos
Alaska June 2024
2023 Sew Bagical
NOLA Retreat 2024
Enchanted Cosplay Getaway – Coming Soon!
Embroidery Escape Retreat – Coming Soon!
Magical Ministry Retreat (HP) – Coming Soon!
Return to shop